Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 1 - Day 1

Week 1's workout consists of a brisk five-minute warmup walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes...

We decided to start our workout at Poquonnock Plains Park's walking track in Groton last night. We both downloaded an app that would notify us when we needed to switch from walk to jog and vice versa. I'm not quite sure why, but my brain read the above regimen quite differently than what it says. When the first notification went off to tell us to jog, I took off at a pretty decent pace, Erick was surprised, I was feeling good. After the first set of jogging and walking I turned to Erick and said, "That's it, right? Or is there a cool down walk after this?" He looked at me with a confused look, looking at the timer, "No, we have to do this for 20 minutes!" Oops...

So now I'm thinking, how many more sets can there be? Only a couple, right? WRONG! As we continued, my throat became so dry it felt like the dryness came up from my lungs and out through my ears. I was trying to concentrate on breathing correctly, but would easily lose rhythm. I no longer took off jogging with gusto like I had initially. After each set I would ask, as if I were a kid, "Are we done yet!?" only to hear the same answer, "Nope, a couple more to go I think." EEEEFFFFF!!!

When we finally got to the cool down walk, and my lungs started to feel more like part of my body again, I slowly realized it still wasn't too bad considering I was able to make it through to the end. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Erick though. I'm sure he would've been jogging faster if he wasn't trying to keep my pace. There ended up being eight sets before the cool down walk. Knowing that now will (hopefully) make it a little easier next time.

I'm happy to say there are no aches or pains today AND I was still able to get in to work early! Overall a good start I think. Thank you all for your encouraging comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment